Friday 7 December 2012

Festive dressing


I've had a H&M long sleeved chiffon dress as my trust LBD for nearly two years. It has been reliable and I've worn it over and over again. However, it started to look really tired and tatty so I started to search for a new 'going out' dress. Anyway, over the past few weeks I'd spotted this 'Gabby' dress from Motel on a few bloggers and decided to go for it (20% student discount, score) and it is utterly amazing. It is definitely a statement dress and I'm looking forwards to wearing it out over the holiday period. Was a bit gutted when I discovered they did the 'Gabby' dress in an iridescent blue/purple colour after I'd bought the green one but this is really lovely and rather festive. I'm a bit blah about the top of my arms (and cold weather) so I prefer long sleeved dresses but it is cut quite low at the back which is a really nice subtle way of showing some skin. I think nail varnish and lipstick would have improved this look a bit but I'll definitely be doing that when I actually wear it out.

At Christmas, the more sequins the better. The festive period is definitely a reasonable excuse to bring out the beautifully eccentric. I've selected a few of my favourite dresses in price ranges to suit all pockets.

£100 +


For those with a slightly more generous budget this christmas, the Topshop Limited Edition range has some really lovely festive dresses. Like the black one on the left, most are really elegant 20s/30s inspired pieces. However, the one on the right is just amazing. The repeat pattern print reminds me of gold baubles and the structure of the dress with the front/back cut outs is really striking.

£50 - £100


This ASOS dress is really festive, it reminds me of multi-coloured christmas lights and baubles. The main reason I went for the long sleeved version of the Motel 'Gabby' dress was chilly Sheffield weather. If it wasn't for that, I would have seriously considered the off-the-shoulder version as it still covers the arm issue and is really striking.

£0-£50

This plunge maxi dress isn't exactly for the faint hearted and I probably wouldn't wear it out to go clubbing but the festive period usually means cocktail evenings, balls, and dressy parties. For those kind of occasions, this would be amazing. Crimson velvet has always seemed really festive to me. The misguided skater dress is a steal at £19 and would look great with some black sparkly stilettos and and discrete gold jewellery.


While not a going out dress, I stumbled across this christmas jumper dress while searching for dresses to include in this post and was immediately taken with it. This would be great to wear with sparkly black tights on christmas day.


2 comments:

  1. The Gabby dress is on my christmas wish list! I love this post.

    www.addiction-a-la-mode.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress id hot! I've been looking for some dresses also, may check these out!
    Check out my blog and maybe follow each other? Just leave a comment.
    I'm soon doing a GIVEAWAY, hopefully for Christmas. :)

    http://amaechi-nwafor.blogspot.co.uk
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete